What is the best way to build a profitable blog or online business?
If you say “good content”, you are 100% correct because content is the king.
People and Google – both go hand in hand. ONE way to build a successful online business is to create great content.
This is where SEO copywriting plays a role. Copy SEO is about creating content that converts and ranks well in search engines.
In this detailed guide, you will learn;
- What is SEO copying and its importance.
- How to create flexible and dynamic content
- Examples of copying SEO (real life)
- All the essential SEO writing tools you need
So are you ready to learn? It can be started without much.
SEO Copywriting: Guide for Beginners
What is SEO Copywriting?
Copywriting SEO is the art of creating human content and making good use of search engines such as Google.
SEO copywriting = Copy (dynamic content) + Search Optimization (content that creates organic traffic)
Here’s a simple difference between writing and copying SEO and examples.
- Copywriting involves creating personalized content (an excellent example is “Copyblogger” which uses content to convert people into customers)
- Copy SEO contributes to the creation of dynamic content and also drives more traffic (an excellent example is “Backlinko” as Brian Dean’s content drives HUGE search traffic and is also converted into profitable)
Why is copying SEO writing important?
Copywriting SEO is about working for two masters – one is: your target audience and the other is: Google. He created content for people and made the beauty of bots.
Google appears every day. It is increasingly wise. The people were also very kind. They have so many options out there. If your content sucks, they will visit your competing websites. It’s that simple.
That’s why you need to use the best SEO writing techniques to satisfy people and search engines.
Here are some of the great benefits of SEO writing.
- Excellent writing is about convincing people with your words. You indirectly sell your products / services with your writing skills. So in the end it helps you with more profit.
- SEO writing helps you with a higher level of search because you will be more focused on those search terms people are already looking for.
- It helps you with better conversions and improves your online product awareness.
- With SEO copywriting, you can connect and engage with a wide range of people around the world.
SEO Copywriting Best Practices
We will now talk about the best SEO writing practices where you will learn how to write for people and use Google power.
Learn the 4-step SEO Process for Effective SEO Publishing
Here is a four-step process of SEO to learn how to properly write SEO.
Step 1: Start with Keyword Research
If you want to improve in SEO writing, you will have to learn the art of finding better keywords. Keyword research is the first step to SEO success.
What is keyword research anyway?
Keyword research is the process of finding the names and phrases people typed on Google to get what they want.
As per SEMrush Organic Research report, we’re generating 4% of our monthly traffic from the above search term.
So if you want to get better at SEO writing, you need to understand keywords first.
You need to identify the keywords that people actually want. How do you get started?
Here’s a quick tutorial on finding the best keywords so you can create content that creates more organic traffic.
We will use SEMrush for keyword research (the same SEO tool we have been using on BloggerPassion for over 5 years now).
If you can’t access it, you can visit this link to get a FREE 30-day trial.
Once on the SEMrush dashboard, visit the Keyword Tool under the keyword survey.
Enter any title or keyword for your decision and hit enter. It sets you up for a ton of keyword ideas. Look;
As you can see above, the SEMrush key tool creates 36,000 keywords for the word “Copy writing”. That’s a lot of keyword ideas, isn’t it?
You can sort those bold words by;
- Wide game
- Game of Thrones
- Fair play
Or you can filter keywords using different keyword metrics.
As you can see, you will find various keyword metrics like;
- Volume (monthly key search)
- Trends (keyword preferences, you can see if the topic gets more search or less search overtime)
- KD% (tells you how easy / difficult it can be to put this keyword on your website)
- CPC (shows you the cost per advertiser for each advertiser who pays Google by clicking on their PPC keyword ad)
- Minimum contention (The level of advertisers discussing this keyword, 1 indicates the highest value of the competition and a rating of 0 indicates no competition)
- SF (referring to SERP features such as embedded thumbnails, people also ask and more on the results page of this keyword)
If you are looking for competing keywords, select less than 500 keyword searches per month.
As you can see above, when you search for “copywriting tips” on Google, at the bottom of the search results page, you’ll find various related searches that can be used as LSI keywords.
Want to know more about keyword research? You can refer to our helpful guide on using SEMrush and keyword planner for finding the ultimate keywords in any niche.
Step 2: Customize your content on Google
Page usage is the process of maximizing your content with specific keywords to attract more traffic from search engines such as Google.
Page usage only occurs after keyword research. Once you’ve found better keywords, you should place your keywords in specific areas of your blog post to get better rankings.
Here are some of the key areas where your keywords and secondary keywords should appear on your blog.
- Title tags (as most important and make sure to use at least a keyword)
- Meta Definition (try using natural keywords and secondary ones)
- URL (keep it short and simple and try entering a keyword)
- Image alt tags (use your keyword in your featured image)
- Subtitles (use LSI keywords to customize your content)
We are currently using the Rank Math plugins to perform well on our blog post page. It is completely free to use and offers excellent features.
Step 3: Build Relevant Links
There are hundreds of factors Google considers while ranking a web page. Out of them all, backlinks play a crucial role.
Do you know why most of the authority websites often get higher rankings even with ordinary content? Due to the huge number of backlinks.
Building relevant backlinks can help you with higher rankings in search results even if you’re running a brand new blog or website.
Here are some of the easy link building strategies you can use in 2020.
- Reach out to other bloggers. This is by far the most effective strategy to build relevant links naturally. The key here is to engage with other bloggers regularly through blog commenting, email outreach, social media shares and so on.
- Write guest posts for others. It’s the evergreen link building strategy.
- Use tools like SEMrush to find link building opportunities. Analyze your competitors backlink sources and find ways to attract those links to your site in various ways such as broken link building, skyscraper technique and so on
You can refer to this guide on building high quality backlinks for your site.
Step 4: Keep Improving Your Blog’s Content
Most people don’t update their existing content. They made blog posts and forget about them. If you’re also doing the same, you’re making a huge mistake.
What’s the point of creating new content if you’re not generating any results with your old content?
So always keep an eye on your existing blog posts, analyze their rankings, analyse the competition and keep improving your content for better results.
Track & Analyze Keyword Rankings: Make sure to always track and analyse your keyword rankings using tools like SEMrush. That way you can improve your content if their rankings are declining.
Learn to Create Content that Sells Itself [Here’s How]
So far we talked about how to find better keywords, optimize your pages and rank for those terms. Let’s now talk about the most important element which is “Copywriting”.
Here are some of the PROVEN ways to create content that sells and converts.
Learn the art of storytelling
Storytelling is powerful. Did you know that people remember stories 22x more than facts and figures?
The SEO guru Neil Patel states, “62% of B2B marketers rated storytelling as an effective content marketing tactic”.
So yes, storytelling is the future of online marketing. Storytelling has so many benefits including;
- It helps you build a strong connection with your audience
- It increases your brand recognition and helps you stand out from the crowd
- Connecting stories often go viral online
Above all, storytelling is what helps you turn your website visitors into customers without selling hard.
Read here: WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
Final thoughts on SEO copywriting for beginners
Learning to create content that’s optimized for both people and search engines is an art. If you become good at it, there’s no stopping you. But SEO copywriting takes time to learn and master and it’s worth your time.
Fortunately, we now have access to so many copywriting and SEO related blogs that produce high-quality content. Read them, watch their videos, listen to SEO copywriting related podcasts to become good at it.
So what are your thoughts on SEO copywriting? Are you going to write content for your visitors and optimize for search bots? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments.